Monday, February 28, 2011

We Need A Revolution


I found this image today while browsing reddit.com and found it to be extremely relevant to everything we have been talking about in class lately. it takes a minute to see it, but the way the money is folded allows for the phrase "We Need A Revolution" to be spelled out by the letters on the dollar.

It amazes me how split the party system supposedly is. In reality, everyone is going for the same goal- more money in their pockets and their bank accounts.

One thing I've really noticed lately is that even though there are massive protests going on throughout the world (Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Wisconsin...), there's really not any protest music coming out of it- or at least mainstream protest music. But it's also ridiculous to think of any major acts these days writing protest music. Picture this: Katy Perry, in the middle of her current "California Dreams Tour," dropping everything to record a song in protest of the Libyan or Egyptian (or Wisconsonian) government.

I would laugh. Not because of the idea of it, but because I can't take most of pop music seriously anymore, and a Katy Perry protest song (the song that I'm getting in my brain would be something along the lines of the backing music of "California Gurls" plus the lyrical equivalent of "Maggie's Farm") would honestly be downright laughable.

The idea of somebody who actually makes an impact on music these days putting something out that even mentions any form of protest is insane. I'd love to see Britney or Katy Perry or Justin Timberlake or whatever come out with something, anything revolutionary, but it would most definitely not get any airplay (if it even were to get released as a single).

I swear to god, if I ever find out that somebody has made a synth-pop mashup of "Maggie's Farm..."

No comments:

Post a Comment