Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fuck the Police.

Fuck the police.



No, but seriously.

Today on the Peace Quad was the SGA Battle of the Bands. Thanks to some technical difficulties and some people being late, the whole event (which was supposed to be over by 2:00 pm because that's when classes start again) was running behind by about 30 minutes. So when Naughty Professor, the last band to perform, finally went on at about 1:57 this afternoon, they were already aware that they had to play quick due to classes and such. But at 2:00, some self-righteous cop shows up and threatens jail time to all of those involved if they didn't stop playing, walking up on stage right in the middle of Naughty Professor's first song.

Jail time. For playing music. In New Orleans, one of the most musical cities in the world.

I've never understood those "disturbing the peace" laws. Music doesn't "disturb the peace." Why do I need a "noise" permit? What if I'm not making "noise"? What if what I'm making is music, loud and raucous (as it should be). If anything, the cops that show up to tell me that I'm "disturbing the peace" are the ones who are actually at fault- they're the ones who are threatening us with jail time for being original, creative, and ourselves.

Why can you arrest me for being loud late at night?

To keep me quiet.

Because maybe it's not just a house party where we're all just chilling out and having a nice time listening to our friends play some music. Maybe I'm not just making music. Maybe I'm starting a revolution. Maybe I'm sticking it to the man. Maybe I'm pointing out the shit in society. Maybe I'm everything you're against. Maybe I'm not obedient.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the police officer should be thrown in jail for keeping me from listening to Naughty Professor. But on a good note they are playing at Cafe P on friday with Rebirth Brass Band.

    ReplyDelete