Thursday, January 13, 2011

i see what you did there.


well good afternoon, everybody. welcome to stereo putrid, my blog for my class "protest and pop music" that i'm taking this semester. let's get to know each other, shall we?

i'm sam, and music is what i do. i've been in several bands, varying from an acoustic duo to a blues-rock trio to my current venture, cute machines, a dance punk band i've formed here at loyola with my twin brother, collin, and my roommate, pat testa. i care a lot about how things sound- i'm the one in the band who tells everybody to stop when one thing is just a little bit off- slightly out of tune, the synth arpeggiator is off tempo, or the drum track (ah, the joys of a drum machine...) just doesn't sound how it's supposed to. i play guitar, and my setup consists of a lot of shitty gear that, for some reason, sounds amazing when put together in the sequence i use it in. go figure?

for christmas this year, i got a new crosley record player, which excites me quite a bit. not to sound like a hipster or anything (although you could probably argue that i'm quite the hipster), but i love vinyl. the idea of music being consumed only digitally in the future bothers me- i rarely just download music, because i love the idea of having a physical, tangible copy of it. i don't know why, but that's how i feel about it.

i'll listen to almost anything, but my favorites (right now, anyway) are beck, the white stripes, the black keys, the dead weather, eagles of death metal, the raconteurs, the kills, spoon, muse, metric, the greenhornes, and the kooks.

politically speaking, i don't really know where i am- i'm pretty moderate. i find myself to be pretty liberal with some issues, but also fairly conservative about other topics. i enjoy a good argument, even though most of my friends say i always lose.

i'm really looking forward to posting here this semester.
-gsm

No comments:

Post a Comment